keldyn bear

keldyn bear
Kelder Bear

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My response to Sam Hamill's "The Necessity to Speak"


    I agree with some of Sam Hamill’s views but not all of them.  I agree that it is very important to speak up in today’s society to make changes.  If we do not want our daughters getting pregnant at such young ages, then we need to inform them on the consequences of their actions and pray that they make good decisions.  Just because a child is educated doesn’t mean that they won’t make mistakes though.  I feel that the biggest problem with teen pregnancy is that parents don’t care. For instance I had tons of friends in high school that their parents let them have boyfriends stay the night with them and even some lived together under their parents’ roof.  I also agree that most abusers have been abused in the past and in order for the cycle to be broken they need to seek serious help.  Most women that have been walked on and beaten through out there lives I believe feel that its normal and tend to find those kind of relationships because that’s what is comfortable to them or maybe that’s what they think they deserve.  I agree that most men are afraid to show emotion like Sam Hamill stated.  In today’s society it is a sign of weakness for a man to cry.  That is very sad; if society wasn’t always pushing people to be what they are not then we probably wouldn’t have as many issues such as, eating disorders, depression, suicide, teen pregnancy, etc…   So yes, I feel that we as a country do need to speak up and stop all of this nonsense about what a person is supposed to look like and act like.  Unfortunately this is what are country has become and I feel that it’s only going to get worse.
            Now were Sam Hamill lost me and I completely disagree with him is his beliefs on disciplining your children.  Maybe it’s just me but I felt like he was saying that spanking your child is abusing your child.  If that’s what he was trying to say I feel like he is sadly mistaken.  
I feel the reason children are so disrespectful these days is because a lot of parents let their children walk all over them.  I’m sorry but that will not fly in my house. I will not allow my kids to think they are the boss.  I’m not saying that it’s ok to beat your kids but there is nothing wrong with a good smack on the butt. 
            About the Army and the government I really can’t say a whole lot because I don’t know much about it other than off course the government is a bunch of lies and scams always has been always will.     

URL- http://poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/733



1 comment:

  1. I agree with your opinion on discipline vs child abuse. I have no children, but I have 2 kittens, and they can get into a lot of trouble. I think one of the differences between abuse and discipline is that you are conscious of what you're doingand that the punishment is appropriate. For example, I'll make loud noises and flick at my kittens when they climb onto the kitchen counter, but because they are so small and delicate I would never use the full force of my hand to "spank" them. However, I have used the full force of my hand on a Labrador who chewed up some of my shoes. I guess what matters is that you don't instill lasting fear in the child/ animal/ wife/ etc. Because ever after I flick at my kittens, within a few minutes they'll be back sitting on my lap.
    Also, if you care to hear, I was never spanked or physically disciplined (or abused for that matter) as a child and I grew up loving and respecting my parents and doing well in school and with other kids. I have never been pregnant or done drugs or been arrested, and frankly I didn't even have sex until I was married. I'm sure different children have different needs, but some of us don't need to be spanked and we'll still end up ok.

    ReplyDelete